1/4 lb. butter or margarine
2 egg yolks
2 cups sugar
1/2 lb. pitted dates
2 cups water
2 tsps. bicarbonate soda
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour, sifted
1/2-1 cup walnuts, chopped
2 whites of eggs, slightly beaten
1. Cream well butter or margarine, egg yolks, and sugar.
2. Cook pitted dates in water for 10 minutes, slowly boiling. Remove
from heat and add bicarbonate soda. Mix and add to the above (number
1) and beat well.
3. Add vanilla and flour. Beat well.
4. Add walnuts.
5. Fold in whites of eggs.
6. Bake in two 9-inch loaf pans (1/2 full) for 1 hour in a medium
oven (375 degrees).
7. Stick toothpick in cake until toothpick comes out clean.